Aiko- Part 4 by Bekuki Chan

"So," said Aiko over their burgers. "What are you gonna be doing this week?"

Goten sighed. "Schoolwork."

Aiko groaned. "Great," she muttered. "I was so busy being depressed I forgot about school."

It was silent for a minute, then Goten said, "Are you going to sign up for the talent show? You could sing. You're a great singer."

"In front of the entire student body?!" Aiko exclaimed, putting down her hamburger. "Don't be an idiot! I could never sing in front of people."

"It would get your mind off Trunks," Goten smiled.

"Hm, that's true..." Aiko murmured. "Yeah, if I get enough guts I will. But what would I sing?"

Goten thought for a minute. "Something that means a lot to you. A song that reaches deep inside you and touches your heart." Aiko's face was suddenly expressionless. "Aiko?" He waved a hand in front of her face. She didn't react. "Aiko?"

She blinked and looked at him. "It could help... me let out some of the hurt... It would have to be the last time I sang it, though. It was on the radio last night and I started bawling again."

"What? What song?"

"When You Say Nothing At All."

 

Aiko practiced, practiced, and practiced more. This had to be perfect. Hopefully, she wouldn't practice too hard and wear out her voice.

She didn't care if she won. She didn't want the money. She just wanted Trunks to know that she still loved him, even if he didn't love her anymore.

The week seemed to fly by, and before she knew it, it was Friday. Aiko had never been so nervous. She stood backstage, sweating buckets. What if he skipped the assembly? He won't know... So many things might go wrong. I hope everything turns out okay. Trunks...

Before Aiko knew it, it was her turn. She took a deep breath and walked onstage.

Trunks sat with Goten in the audience with the other students. "This is boring," he muttered to Goten. The two of them had made up, and Goten hadn't brought up anything concerning Aiko since. "I mean, everyone is doing a fine job, but I'm bored out of my mind!"

Goten sighed. "Well, maybe it'll get better, Trunks."

"Yeah, right."

Just then, Aiko walked out onstage. Trunks' mouth fell open in shock. He wasn't only surprised to see her, but she was in a skirt. And it was kind of short. Her auburn hair was down, cascading over her shoulders.

"Aiko?..." He turned to Goten, and saw the smug grin on his face. "You were in on this, weren't you?!"

Goten grinned. "I was the one that convinced Aiko to wear a skirt. It wasn't easy."

"Why you..." Trunks growled, but was interrupted by a sweet sound.

He looked up onto the stage. She was singing. Trunks was almost entranced by her voice before he realized what she was singing. When he did, his breath caught in his throat. No... Not this song... She'd picked it just to upset him.

"How could she do this?" Trunks muttered.

Goten shook his head in pity. "Trunks, how can you be so blind? She's trying to tell you that she loves you. Are you so thick-headed and proud that you can't accept that she never cheated on you and that maybe Delia was lying?!"

Goten's words pierced Trunks' heart and he shushed Goten. "I want to listen to her finish..."

Goten smiled. Mission accomplished, he thought. I think he's finally seen the light.

Aiko finished and the auditorium filled with applause. Trunks never knew that Aiko could sing that good...

He got up from his seat and headed backstage.

Aiko sighed and leaned against a wall behind stage. She hadn't won, but she hoped with all her heart that it had gotten to Trunks' heart. It was my last hope... she thought miserably.

"Aiko?..."

Aiko snapped her head up. "Trunks..." she whispered. Please say you believe me... Or that you forgive me for something I didn't do, even! Please, please, please...

"Aiko, I... I..." Trunks scratched the back of his head nervously. "I'm... I'm so sorry. I love you and I know that you would never hurt me. Obviously, I can't keep up to those standards... You're a better person than me, I guess. I'm so stupid. Please forgive me... I... I'll do anything... anything... to make it up to you please... Aiko... Aiko-chan..."

"Trunks-kun!" Aiko ran into his arms and squeezed him tight. "I love you..."

"You forgive me?"

"Trunks, I was never mad at you!" Aiko said.

"Really?!" Trunks exclaimed. "But Goten said I made you cry..."

"Trunks-kun..." Aiko looked up into his sky-blue eyes. "You hurt me... But I could never, never be mad at you. I love you too much."

Trunks hugged her tight. "I missed you, Aiko-chan."

"I missed you more, Trunks-kun."

"No, I missed you more!"

Aiko laughed and pulled his face to hers, kissing him, not caring if there were other people walking around backstage. Trunks wrapped his arms around her. He pulled his face a little away from hers and whispered, "I got my angel back."

"And I have my Underwear Boy..."

Trunks laughed softly. "I'm so happy things worked out."

The next thing Aiko knew, she was crying again, only this time they were happy tears, tears of joy and relief. "Trunks-kun..." Trunks held her tight. "Please... Don't leave me again."

"I swear I'll never leave you again, Aiko. I'll never hurt you again, either," Trunks whispered gently. "I promise."

Aiko sniffled and smiled weakly at Goten standing in the doorway, smiling. She gave him a thumbs up and he laughed silently. Aiko pecked Trunks on the cheek. "Love you forever."

"Love you forever... And this time I mean it," Trunks reassured her. He wiped her tears away with his thumb. He smiled. "Aiko-chan... You're wearing make-up..."

"Yeah? Goten made me."

"You look gorgeous," Trunks smiled. "Of course, you look just as good without it." He ran his fingers through her hair. "You're so beautiful... Love you, Angel."

"Love you, too," she whispered. "Let's all skip the last ten minutes of school and go to the tree or something..."

Trunks nodded. "C'mon. Let's get Goten."

"He's right there."

Trunks turned around. "Oh, hey, Goten." Goten waved. Trunks slipped his arm around Aiko's waist and said, "Let's go then, guys."

The three of them snuck out the front door of the school, Aiko holding tight to Trunks' hand and Goten lagging a little behind. Laughing, they jumped in Trunks' car and drove off. They drove to the edge of the woods and Aiko took off her shoes so she wouldn't get them dirty and Trunks gave her a pair of his gym shorts so she could run.

The three of them tore through the woods laughing. They got to the tree and Goten hopped into its branches. Trunks followed, giving Aiko a hand up because she wasn't wearing any shoes. Goten hung from a branch, smiling. Aiko sat close to Trunks with his arm around her on a branch across from Goten.

Goten smiled. "I'm so glad to see you two together again."

Aiko smiled, too. "I'm glad we're back together."

"So am I," Trunks said.

She smiled, and sighed. "It really is beautiful today, isn't it?"

Goten looked up into the branches of the tree. A few birds were sitting in them. "Yeah."

They were silent for a few minutes, just enjoying the day, when Trunks spoke up. "I really think I like doughnuts."

Aiko laughed. "Is that what you've been thinking about this whole time?"

He nodded. "Yup. Jelly doughnuts and creamsticks, cinnamon buns, glazed, chocolate-frosted ones with pink sprinkles..." He pretended to start to drool.

Goten laughed, too, and pulled himself up onto the branch he was hanging from. "I like cinnamon buns myself."

"I prefer the creamsticks with that maple-flavored frosting stuff." Trunks turned to Aiko. "How about you?"

She grinned. "I like jelly doughnuts, because they remind me of big bugs."

"How?"

"Well, when you bite into them, all the jelly comes out the other end, and it's like the bug's guts squirting out when you squish it."

Trunks thought a moment. "Y'know, if they made one with clear-colored jelly, it would be like a spider."

"Why clear?"

"Spiders have clear blood."

Goten made a face. "No they don't!"

"Do too."

"Do not."

"Do too," Aiko interrupted. "I read it."

"You shouldn't read," Goten said. "It could make you smart."

Aiko glared at him. "Are you saying I'm not smart?"

"Yes." She laughed and swung a playful punch at him, and hit his arm. "Owwies!"

"Did that really hurt?" Aiko asked. Goten nodded. "Oh cool." She hit Trunks on the shoulder.

"Owwwwww! Ouchie-wa-wa boo-booooo!" Trunks wailed. Aiko laughed.

"Wiggie-wah..." she mocked.

Goten laughed and plastered on a big grin. "Don't worry, Trunks. Me an' Aiko learned first aid in health class, right, Aiko?"

Aiko let out a little shriek. "Run, Trunks! And whatever you do, don't let Goten near you with a first aid kit! You don't even want to know what he did to our teacher!"

Trunks laughed and put his arm around her shoulders. "Don't worry, Aiko-chan. He can't get to one up here."

She laughed, too, and leaned her head on his shoulder. "But if he does, you'd better run."

Trunks smiled. "Don't worry. My shoulder feels much better."

Goten smiled. He was just so glad that they were back together again. He hated to see them apart.

The three of them sat together in the tree, in silence, enjoying the nice day. Then, the tranquility was penetrated.

"GOTEN!!!"

Goten groaned. "Oh, no. There's Mom..."

"TRUNKS!!! ARE YOU UP THERE?!"

"Uh oh," Trunks said. "There's my mother."

Aiko giggled as they climbed out of the tree, facing two very furious mothers.

"Why did you skip school?!" ChiChi bellowed.

"H-how did you know?!" Trunks stammered.

"We're mothers!" Bulma screamed. "We know EVERYTHING!!!"

"Mom, it was just ten minutes," Goten said.

"Just ten minutes?! JUST TEN MINUTES?!?! Goten, don't you know that ten minutes can affect your WHOLE LIFE?!?!"

"Mom. It was only ten minutes! How is that gonna affect my whole life?!"
"It could influence you to become a drop-out!!!" Aiko couldn't hold back her laughter any more, and she let it burst out. "I don't see anything funny, Aiko!" ChiChi snapped. "Your mother will hear of this, you just wait and see! Come on, Goten!"

"Mom, I--"

"I said, come on!" ChiChi grabbed hold of one of Goten's ears and dragged him off.

"Ow! Ow! Mom, that huuuurts!"

"Quit whining!..."

Bulma turned to Trunks. "You too, young man!"

"Fine. Just don't pull my ears off."

Bulma started walking home, and Trunks started after her, then stopped. He turned to Aiko and put his arms around her. "I'm so sorry, Aiko-chan..."

Aiko put her finger over his lips. "Sh... It's okay now. Everything's all right." She gave him a quick kiss. "Bye, Trunks-kun."

"Bye, Aiko." He leaned down and pressed his lips to hers. Aiko put her arms around his neck and he held her tight.

"TRUNKS! COME ON!"

Trunks parted from Aiko, laughing. "See you tomorrow, Angel."

"Bye, Trunks-kun."

They went their separate ways home, both of them smiling.

Mika stared out the window at the rain. It was such a dreary day... but peaceful.

"GOTEN!!! COME BACK HERE!!!"

Or, at least, it had been peaceful.

Goten was tearing around the house, Aiko at his heels, and Trunks bringing up the rear, laughing. Goten had done something to upset Aiko, obviously, and she was trying to kill him. Nothing new.

"Aiko!" Mika yelled. "If you're going to run around screaming, do it outside!"

"But it's raining."

"So go to Goten's. At least his parents are used to it."

Aiko sighed. "Okay." They grabbed their jackets and headed out the door.

When they got to the Son's house, Aiko was no longer upset with Goten. Maybe because she had tripped him outside and he had fallen face first in a mud puddle.

ChiChi ran up as they entered the house. "Look at all of you!" she cried. "You're soaked!"

"Yes, Mom, it's raining," Goten said. "Hadn't you noticed?"

They managed to get by ChiChi and up to Goten's bedroom without being yelled at.

Aiko sat down on the floor in front of Goten's bed, which Trunks was sitting on, and Goten sat across from her against the wall.

Trunks played with Aiko's damp hair as she talked. "What do you guys wanna do?"

"I dunno..." Goten looked out the window. "Hey, it stopped raining!" He stood and opened the window, and a warm breeze blew in. "Boy, it's warm."

"Hey, why don't we go swimming?" Trunks suggested. "It is kinda hot today."

Goten shrugged. "Whatever." He looked at Aiko. "What do you think?"

"Sounds good to me."

"Cool." Trunks stood up. "Me an' Aiko've gotta get our stuff. How about meeting back here in twenty minutes?"

"Sounds good to me," Aiko said. She and Trunks left for their houses.

Half an hour later, they were down at the pool, which was pretty much empty. The only other people were two old men sleeping in deck chairs.

Trunks and Goten took off their T-shirts, and Aiko's eyes popped open. Then her face turned red and she looked away from them, staring at the ground.

Aiko pulled off the T-shirt she was wearing that hung almost to her knees, and Trunks' jaw dropped. She was wearing a yellow two-piece, and he couldn't help but stare. He looked her up and down several times and Aiko's face turned even redder, and she turned around, facing the pool, preparing to jump in.

Trunks snuck up behind her and pushed her in before she was ready. She came up to the surface, glaring at him. "Why you..." She tried to pull him in, but he was too strong.

Then, suddenly, Trunks fell into the water. Goten, who had pushed him, stood there laughing.

Trunks surfaced, then reached up and yanked Goten into the water. Aiko laughed as Goten came up, glaring icily at Trunks.

Goten climbed out of the pool, and backed up about ten feet, then ran as fast as he could towards towards them. Aiko yelped and ducked underwater as Goten sailed over their heads, screaming, "CANNONBALL!!!"

Aiko came up as the wave from Goten's cannonball splashed the old men. One sat up.

Trunks shrieked in mock horror and dove underwater, swimming towards the deep end. Laughing, Goten and Aiko swam after him.

Aiko got ahead of Goten, and she saw Trunks floating on his back in the deep end, eyes closed. She swam up to him silently, then dunked him.

He came up spluttering. "Aiko! Don't do that!" She giggled, and he grinned.

"Ack! Trunks, don't!"

But it was too late. He shoved her underwater. When Aiko came to the surface, he was laughing.

"Why you..." Aiko swam at him as fast as she could, which wasn't too fast, and climbed on his back, trying unsuccessfully to push him under.

Trunks shook her off, and turned around. "Can't catch me."

"Trunks! You know you can swim faster than me!"

He grinned. "I know." He swam off.

"Truuuunks!" Aiko hurried after him, and grabbed his shoulders.

He smiled. "Here." He lifted her up. "Sit on my shoulders." Aiko climbed up on his shoulders, and Trunks swam towards the shallow end of the pool.

"Hey, this is pretty fun," Aiko said.

Suddenly, Trunks ducked underwater, taking Aiko with him. She pulled away as he swam to the bottom. Trunks looked up. Aiko stuck her tongue out at him and swam for the surface, where she met Goten.

"Goten, help!" she shrieked as Trunks swam up to them underwater.

Goten laughed and stuck his foot in Trunks' face just as Trunks was almost at the surface.

He came up, coughing. "You play dirty," he said, scowling at Goten.

Aiko looked up at the clock on the wall of the nearby restrooms. "We'd better get going, guys..."

"Okay, okay."

They climbed out of the pool, and Trunks and Goten picked up their towels to begin drying off.

Trunks noticed Aiko standing there shivering. "What's wrong, Aiko?"

"I f-forgot m-my towel."

Trunks stood next to her and draped his towel over her shoulders and pulled her close. "There you go."

Aiko sighed. "Much better."

Goten walked up beside them, and the three walked home together.

 

Aiko was over at Trunks', and they were sitting on the couch together. Trunks was showing her some photo albums.

Trunks turned the page, and Aiko squealed.

"Ohhh! Look at this one!" She pointed at a picture of Trunks when he was only a baby. She giggled, saying, "Ohh, you were so cuuute!" Trunks blushed. "You were such a fat little baby!" His face got even redder.

Bulma poked her head in the room. "What's all the squealing about, Aiko?"

"I was looking at a picture of Trunks when he was just a little baby!" she grinned. "He was sooooo cute."

Bulma smiled. "Yes, he was such a fat baby, too."

Trunks put his head in his hands. This was so embarrassing...

Aiko squealed again. "Look! Looklooklook! You're all covered in baby food!"

He groaned. Oh, the humiliation...

Aiko reached over and ruffled his hair. "And you're still as kuh-yoot as you were then! Just not as fat."

Trunks looked up at her. "This is perfectly demeaning."

"You mean you don't like me ruffling your hair?"

He smiled. "Well, not necessarily that. I meant you gushing over my baby pictures."

She smiled, too. "But you were soooo cute, Trunks-kun!"

He blushed. "And I'm not cute now?"

"Of course you are!"

"But am I as cute as I was when I was a baby?" Aiko hesitated. "Aiko!" Trunks laughed.

She smiled. "Cuter." She leaned over and kissed his cheek. He blushed again.

Bulma smiled and went back into the kitchen.

"What should I get Trunks for Valentine's Day, Goten?"

Goten shrugged. "What does he like?"

Aiko began counting them off on her fingers. "Food, football, food, horror movies, food, fighting, food, kissing," She blushed and giggled. "...and food."

"Get him a horror movie about a football player during a war who is in love with a chef." Goten grinned.

Aiko laughed. "Where do you come up with this stuff?"

"I'm just a genius, I guess."

She shoved him playfully. "You must be confusing yourself with your brother!"

"What, you don't think I'm smart?!" he joked.

"Not particularly," she giggled.

"Why you..." Goten grabbed her around the waist from behind and tickled her. She laughed and squirmed but couldn't break out of his grasp. "This'll learn ya!"

Trunks walked into Aiko's bedroom and saw Goten holding Aiko down on the bed and tickling her mercilessly. "Trunks, help!" she laughed.

"Ooh, I'll help all right!" He walked over. "Goten, hold her down!" Trunks started tickling her.

"Trunks!" Aiko laughed. "I'm going to kill you!" Her foot connected with Goten's jaw and he let her go, crying out in pain. "Now I'll getcha!" She tackled Trunks on the floor and sat on his chest facing his feet and tickled him.

Laughing, Trunks grabbed her around the waist and yanked her so she was laying on her back on top of him. He gave her a noogie, all three of them laughing.

"Trunks-kun!" Aiko laughed. He let her go and she turned her head and gave him a quick kiss on the lips, then jumped up and ran and leapt onto the bed next to Goten, who was laughing so hard he couldn't stand up.

Trunks got up off the floor as Mika opened the door. "Guys, cut out the rough housing or go outside."

"Mom, it's cold outside!"

"Then stop horsing around before you break something."

"Sorry, Mom," Aiko said sheepishly. Mika left, shutting the door behind her. "So, Trunks-kun," Aiko said, slipping her arms around his waist. "What are you getting me for Valentine's Day next week?"

"Nothing."

She laughed and punched him affectionately. "Fine, then I won't get you that movie about the football player during a war who's in love with a chef!"

"What?"

"It's a horror movie, too, Aiko!" added Goten with a grin.

"What are you guys talking about?" Aiko and Goten just laughed, leaving Trunks totally in the dark.

Ding, dong.

Aiko opened the door. "Trunks-kun! What are you--" She stopped short when she saw the bouquet of white roses in his hand. "Trunks, I..."

"Happy Valentine's Day," he said, handing her the bouquet.

"I... Trunks, you're a sweetheart."

He smiled. "And this is to go with them." He slipped his arms around her waist and gave her a long, sweet kiss. She put her free arm around his neck and kissed him back.

Mika walked by. "Hello, Trunks."

Still kissing Aiko, he waved with one hand, then put it around Aiko's middle again. Mika smiled to herself. They're so cute, she thought. "Would you mind shutting the door? You're letting cold air in."

Smiling, Trunks pulled his face away from Aiko's. "Guess I'd better go..."

"No, I've got something for you, too," Aiko said. She took his hand and led him into the kitchen. "I know guys usually give these to girls, but I thought you'd like them..." She handed him a big box of chocolate.

"Oooo!" Trunks gushed, grabbing the box and ripping off the plastic wrapping and pulling off the lid. "Mmm..."

Aiko laughed. "Don't drool all over it, Trunks."

"You want some?" he asked.

"Um, sure. We can eat them outside on the back porch swing if you want..." she said.

"Yeah! C'mon, get your coat! I'm hungry!" he begged.

She laughed and ruffled his hair. "You're so cute!" She grabbed her coat and they sat on the swing on the back porch.

"You can have the first one," Trunks said.

"Oh, you're so sweet."

"...in case there's anything wrong with them." She laughed and he handed her the box. "Pick one."

She took a round one and popped it in her mouth. "Mmm... Peanut butter!" She took another out. "Here's one for you." She gently put it in his mouth, giggling.

"Sweet candy for a sweet girl," Trunks said, feeding her one.

She giggled as she ate it, and fed him another, and he pretended to try and bite her fingers. She pulled her hand back fast, laughing. "Trunks, you're bad!"

"I'll show you just how bad I am," he said, grinning. He leaned over and gave her a long kiss. She smiled as he kissed her and wrapped her arms around his neck. He reached up and tickled the back of her neck and she giggled through the kisses.

She pulled her lips away. "Mmm... Sticky kiss," she giggled.

"Thanks for the chocolate."

"I knew you'd love it."

He smiled. "I love you more. Your kisses taste better than the sweetest chocolate, you're more beautiful than the whitest rose..."

"You're such a flatterer, Trunks-kun," she said, slipping her arms around his middle.

"But it's true, every word." He flashed a smile and Aiko felt like she was melting into his sky blue eyes. "One more kiss before I go."

"Sure." She pressed her lips to his, playing with his silky, lavender hair. "See you Monday at school."

He kissed her once more. "Can't wait." He picked up his box of chocolate and walked down the steps.

"Thanks for the flowers, Trunks!" Aiko called after him. "They're gorgeous."

"Not as gorgeous as you!" he said, going around the corner.

Aiko blushed and went back inside.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Like it? Hate it? Wanna see some more? E-mail me at minako-chan@sailorjupiter.com or starlite55@evesta.com